How to make Nougats at home?
Here's a simple recipe to make nougats at home:
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruits of your choice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper or grease it lightly with butter. Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped almonds, pistachios, and dried cranberries. Mix them well and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, honey, unsalted butter, and heavy cream. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue to cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the soft-ball stage. You can check this by dropping a small amount of the mixture into a bowl of cold water. If it forms a soft ball that holds its shape, it's ready.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Pour the hot mixture over the nuts and dried fruits in the mixing bowl. Quickly stir everything together until well coated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Allow the nougat to cool and set at room temperature for a few hours or refrigerate it for faster setting.
- Once set, remove the nougat from the baking dish and cut it into desired shapes, such as squares or rectangles.
- Store the nougats in an airtight container at room temperature. They should last for several weeks.
Enjoy your homemade nougats as a sweet treat or give them as gifts to friends and family!